Home from hospital 'without a mark on him': Toddler who fell from a sixth-floor hotel balcony five weeks ago makes a 'miracle' recovery
- Neil Shanahan plummeted from a balcony at Strand Hotel in Limerick
- Toddler spent five weeks in hospital and three days in intensive care
- He is now back with his family without a scratch on him from accident
- His mother has praised the 'angel' American nurse who resuscitated him
Neil Shanahan, aged two-and-a-half, was at a coffee morning with his family at the Stand Hotel in Limerick, Ireland, when he walked into a lift and somehow made it onto the roof.
A witness then claims to have seen the toddler hanging off the lettering of the hotel before he plummeted to the ground.
The tot was whisked away to hospital and spent three days in intensive care and five weeks receiving treatment before he could be released into the loving arms of his family.
He spent time in a full body cast while he was treated by doctors but, a month later, bares little scars.
Neil sustained damage to one of his legs and is receiving physiotherapy to get him properly back on his feet.
Hayden Dillon, who said he saw the boy clinging to the hotel’s signage just beneath the balcony, described the incident as ‘terrible’. He said: ‘I saw it with my own eyes. It was terrible, never forget it.’ Mr Dillon, from Limerick city, then described the horrific moment the boy fell.
He wrote on Facebook: ‘The child was hanging off the Strand sign and couldn’t hold on. [He] fell about 20 metres in front of me.’
A two-year-old boy critically injured after falling from the sixth floor of a hotel in Limerick has been transferred to Temple Street Children's Hospital in Dublin.
The boy suffered multiple injuries after he fell from a balcony on the top floor of The Strand Hotel, on the Ennis Road, shortly before 2pm yesterday.
The child, who is from Limerick city, was initially cared for at the scene by a doctor who happened to be in a nearby hair salon.
It is understood the boy's family were not guests at the hotel.
The 'Penthouse Suite' which we must assume is the blue lit top floor in the above photo is illustrated here: http://www.strandhotellimerick.ie/penthouse-suite.html Clearly no expense has been spared to ensure it is luxuriously appointed. It would seem likely that the only access on to the balcony is through the suite unless a separate service access is provided.
For anyone looking for that extra indulgent stay or to mark a special occasion The Penthouse at the Limerick Strand Hotel offering spectacular views of the city and River Shannon is a must. Featuring a light, airy and bright space with separate King Size bedroom and separate living area with enclosed balconies. Unique glass façades create individual winter gardens allowing you to enjoy panoramic views of city skyline stretching from King John's Castle onwards! Experience the ultimate treat in luxurious surroundings.
- King Size Pillow Top Extra Comfort Bed
- 1001 sq f
- Goosedown Duvets and Pillows ( Foam available)
- 200 Thread Count Egyptian Cotton Linen
- Nespresso Coffee Machine
- Separate Living Room with Dining Table and Separate Visitor WC
- Complimentary 200 mb WIFI Internet Access
- Complimentary Mineral Water
- Complimentary Access to the Executive Lounge
- Bathroom with Separate Power Shower and Deep Bath Tub
- Two 32" Multi Channel Plasma Televisions with 54 TV & Radio Channel
- Fluffy Bathrobes and Slippers
- Laptop Compatible Safe
- Self Controlled Air Conditioning
- Tea/Coffee making facilities
- Mini Cooler
- Salon Hairdryer, Iron/Ironing Board and Shaving Mirror
- Working desk and ergonomic chair
- Alarm Radio
- 24 Hour Room service
- Black Out Curtains
- Glass enclosed balconies with Seating Area
- Ice Machine on each floor
- Ice Bucket in each room
- Upgraded Paul Costello Bathroom Amenities
- One of the only hotels with a swimming pool (20m) offering complimentary access to hotel guests.
- All guests of the Limerick Strand Hotel enjoy access to Energize Health Club
- A 10% discount at Niall Colgan Hairdressing
The Heroic First Aider Julie Genova