Thursday 6 April 2017

"The happy highways where I went."




Nostalgic footage set to music.

Chew Valley School, Somerset: 1963 - 1965.

Fleeting glimpses of Headmaster, Mr Moore, and past-Masters, Mr Guard, Mr Bentley, Mr Skeels, Mrs Proctor, Mr Smallbone, Mr Bishop, Mr Wooding, Mr Greenslade and many pupils, either much older or elevated to a higher plain. A good school, run by good people. A liberal education at its best. Certainly a moving experience for me in the editing of the film (with the indispensable assistance of Adam Doyle) that I hope you will enjoy, if for the sound track, if for nothing else!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYZWJ-cVwb8


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the really good things about Chew was the accomplished pianist and music teacher, Mr Bishop, who every morning at "Assembly" played a classical piece on the school grand and added suitable background. It was my introduction to the classical repertoire, and it helps to sustain me to this day. It was the first time I heard Grieg's wonderful music inspired by the story of Ibsen's 'Peer Gynt' - "a life based on procrastination and avoidance" - so close to my heart! Peer is a man who spends his life roaming the earth, running away from his actions, who eventually returns home an old man to acceptance and hopefully, respite. "Where has Peer Gynt been since we last met? Where was I as the one I should have been, whole and true, with the mark of God on my brow?" She answers; "In my faith, in my hope, in my love." Listen to it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2gDFJWhXp8

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.