Saturday 28 October 2023

Chew Magna 1938 in Colour. Rare 16mm footage.

Historic (1938) Chew Magna Film



I apologis this fim will not play here. Watch instead at :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw7eYvn27BQ


Journey Home by Tim Veater

So we fly the path before us
Whitening waves dash pebbled shore
Lights do nothing but to blind us
Till from above the light is pure.
Wind behind us bids us forward
Aelolus on our side
Dark and damp the sea spray tells us
There is no where left to hide.
Onward onward
For the clock is ticking fast
Sea to seaward, land to land ward,
What was forest, now is marsh.
Listen to the rush and rattle
As the ocean strokes the land
Listen to the power that quickens
With the shifting of the sand
Mighty clock the wheels are turning
All are spinning round the sun
So too my wheels are yearning
With each cycle to be home.
There is nothing here to keep us
All is noisy, false and vain.
Gyrating bodies crush together
Vain attempt to squeeze the pain
I alone head out, head east
Balanced on a narrow tread
Leaving all the road behind me
Looking to the road ahead.
Just one star above is shining
Despite the billions hiding there
So just one human here is riding
In the damp and misty air.


Old Friend by Tim Veater

A printer's apprentice he became
Book-binding skill by any other name
All grown up and went away
Only the childish memories remain
Lodged within my addled adult brain
A remnant of a distant sound
Reverberates inside my hollow skull
Stuck fast like stalactite
Hanging from a limestone wall
Deep underground.

He was a boy, an all male friend
And all the things that I was not
I did not plead to seek his love
But revelled in it when it flowed
His heavy arm wrapped round my head
Playing with my right hand ear
Unseen, my spirit glowed
As across the playground yard we strolled
I guess when I was eight and he was ten
He walked me home.

As now in bed I lay
Late in the night, late in the day
A lifetime lost like water flowing down a drain
I struggle to recall those precious moments
Lost but valued still
That follow me against his will
And still remain
Reignited by a FaceBook post
Familiar face and smile but aged
A lifetime separating them and us.

Retaining yet an echo of that innocent embrace
A glimmer of a fire almost gone out
Yet embers warm the cockles of the heart
So unashamed I remember now
Yes I command my brain to act
Recalling what I can of moments gone
Before the flickering candle spits and dies
Recall, recall, I here demand what cells remain
An honest game of poker played in a far-off land
I'd pay again to feel and see the dealer's hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.