Saturday 2 April 2022

 Night Visitor.

Just before the night descended

But before the light went out

A dark shadow of a shape alighted

On the oak tree branch without.

Quickly I reached for my glasses

Focused on the spectre there

Yes indeed as I had guessed it

Tawny Owl just sat and stared.

Although in darkness it could see me

Better than I could it

Just moments later it decided

It was time to flit.

No sooner had I fixed my eye upon it

It had spread its wings and fled

Swooping down into the meadow

Harbinger of something dread.

A strange feeling overcame me

Party to a secret sight

Member of exclusive moment

Fleeting, silent, holy flight.

Was it neighbour come to see me?

Restless spirit of the dead?

Reminder of some dear departed

Things they'd done and things they'd said?

Or an omen of things coming

Day before my son's birth day?

Day before the big duke's gathering

In a city far away?

Cacophony of bells still ringing

In my head amidst the stones

I discovered Jack and Mable

After forty years had flown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.